One of my favorite ways to enjoy shrimp is just like this– bathed in a golden, aromatic elixir of olive oil and butter and infused with rosemary, garlic and umami-rich anchovies. As this poaches gently in the oven, the woodsy smell of the rosemary marries with the pungency of the garlic and the brightness of the lemon, creating an intoxicating experience.
You can eat this straight away after it’s done cooking– a mere 20 minutes or so, but if you have the restraint to stash this in the fridge overnight, the flavors of the rosemary and garlic will intensify and the shrimp will beÂ thatÂ much more delicious. I promise you, you’ll be licking the remains of the olive oil with your finger long after the shrimp have been devoured. Olive oil is good for you, right…?
This can be eaten as is, alone, but with a glass of white wine. Also, and I’d argue, even better: spooned over a luscious pool of creamy polenta.
- 1 pound medium shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 1 cup good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into little pieces
- 4 fat garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2 anchovy filets
- Zest and juice of a lemon
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3-4 rosemary sprigs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place all ingredients into a shallow ovenproof dish making sure the shrimp are submerged in the olive oil. Combine everything well, cover with foil, and put in the oven to cook for about 20-25 minutes until the shrimp are pink.
// other shrimp things: