Black Bean, Radish, Corn Salad with Cotija Cheese + Lime-Cilantro Dressing
Jump to recipe
It’s been a rough couple days, folks. My uncle from my dad’s side was admitted to the hospital yesterday for a stroke. Today, he had surgery to relieve the pressure that was building up in his skull. I just found out from my dad that surgery went remarkably well and that’s he’s resting. They will be able to see him in an hour. It’s the best news I’ve received in quite a while.
It’s times like these, when horrible, sudden things happen to the loved ones in your life that make you take a step back and really appreciate what matters. We take so many things for granted; I know I do. If there’s anything that you can accomplish and be great at in this short amount of time we have on earth, it’s to love people. Love as many as you can. Love them fiercely. Love them now.
When things go awry in my life, the only way I know to cope is to cook. There are many things that are out of my control, but with the knife in my right hand and food on the cutting board, I am confident I have the power to create something delicious. This salad is actually something I’ve been making for several years but never wrote the recipe down. It’s always been one of those things I toss together when I’m craving something crunchy and fresh. I’d love to share it with you, friends.
Black Bean, Radish, Corn Salad with Cotija Cheese and Lime-Cilantro Dressing
hereâ€™s a super crunchy, super refreshing salad to enjoy any time of the year but seems to feel the most pleasurable when warm weather beckons and your appetite for fresh veg heightens. this is especially delicious in the late summer when corn is plentiful and sweet. cotija cheese is a hard, salty, crumbly mexican cheese that cuts through the acidity of the salad; if you canâ€™t find it, try the italian versionâ€“ ricotta salata.
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 ears fresh corn, shucked and kernels chopped off
- handful of radishes, cut into small pieces roughly same size as black beans
- 1/4 cup red or sweet yellow onions, chopped roughly
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch red pepper flake, or 1/2 jalapeno, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped roughly
- 4 ounces cotija cheese, crumbled into large chunks
- combine all ingredients except cotija cheese into a large bowl and mix gently; taste for seasonings. add cotija cheese and mix gently. at this point, the salad is good to go but if you let it mingle for a while longer, the flavors really meld together and it tastes even better. your call, amigos.
// More deliciously good salads: